|Debbie Allen Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||January 16, 1950|
Debbie Allen is an American actor, voice actor, dancer, choreographer, singer, songwriter, director, producer, and a former member of the President’s Committee on the Arts and Humanities. She is known for her roles like Lydia Grant in the 1980 teen drama film Fame as well as in the television series of the same name, Dr. Catherine Avery Fox in the medical drama series Grey’s Anatomy, Jackie Warren in the sitcom In the House, and Dr. Langhorne in the sitcom A Different World. With her work, Debbie Allen has been nominated at least 20 times for an Emmy Award (winning 5), 2 Tony Awards, and has also won a Golden Globe Award.
Deborah Kaye Allen
Debbie Allen in 2012 (Red Carpet Report on Mingle Media TV / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0)
Houston, Texas, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Debbie Allen attended Howard University and received a B.A. degree in classical Greek literature, speech, and theater. She was a member of Chi Delta Mu Health Professional Fraternity.
She also studied acting at HB Studio in New York City. Additionally, she has honoris causa doctorates from Howard University and the University of North Carolina School of the Arts.
Actor, Voice Actor, Dancer, Choreographer, Singer, Songwriter, Director, Producer, Former member of the President’s Committee on the Arts and Humanities
- Father – Andrew Arthur Allen (Dentist)
- Mother – Vivian (née Ayers) Allen (Pulitzer Prize-nominated Artist, Poet, Playwright, Scholar, Publisher)
- Siblings – Phylicia Rashad (Older Sister) (Actor, Voiceover Artist, Singer, Stage Director), Tex (Andrew Arthur Allen, Jr.) (Older Brother) (Jazz-Musician), Hugh Allen (Brother) (Real estate banker in North Carolina)
- Others – Lloyd James Allen (Paternal Grandfather), Goldie Matilda Jackson (Paternal Grandmother), Robert D. Ayers, Sr. (Maternal Grandfather), Vivian Graham (Maternal Grandmother), Condola Rashād (Niece) (Actor), William Lancelot Bowles III (Nephew), Mary Jo (Mother-In-Law), Elmer Nixon (Father-In-Law)
Debbie Allen has been repped by –
- Red Bird Productions, Inc., Company, Santa Monica, California, United States
- Debbie Allen Dance Academy, Company, Los Angeles, California, United States
According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, her net worth had been $3 Million.
Debbie Allen as seen in 1983 (Croes, Rob C. / Anefo / Dutch National Archive / CC BY-SA 3.0 NL)
5 ft 2 in or 157.5 cm
65 kg or 143.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Boyfriend / Spouse
Debbie Allen has dated –
- Nigel Hawthorne
- Julianne Malveaux
- Will Smith – RUMOR
- Susan L. Taylor
- Steven Spielberg
- Morgan Freeman
- Jamie Foxx
- Arliss Howard
- Queen Latifah – RUMOR
- Djimon Hounsou – She was responsible for getting Djimon his breakout role in Steven Spielberg’s Amistad (1997).
- Anthony Hopkins
- Maya Angelou
- Deborah Prothrow-Stith
- Jeremy Northam – RUMOR
- Bill Cosby – RUMOR
- Mike Malone
- Stevie Wonder
- Win Wilford (1975-1983) – She was married to Win Wilford from 1975 to 1983.
- Norm Nixon (1984-Present) – In 1984, she got married to former professional basketball player Norm Nixon and they have 3 children – son DeVaughn Nixon (b. July 8, 1983), daughter Vivian Nichole Nixon (b. May 31, 1984), and another son Norman Ellard Nixon Jr. (b. 1987).
Race / Ethnicity
Debbie Allen is of African-American descent.
Debbie Allen has done endorsement work for –
- Jif Peanut Butter (TV Commerical) (1975)
- COPA Hair Relaxer (TV infomercial) (2000)
- Office Depot (TV Commercial) (2002)
Debbie Allen as seen while smiling at the Kennedy Center in 1998 (John Mathew Smith & www.celebrity-photos.com / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0)
Debbie Allen Favorite Things
Source – IMDb
Debbie Allen Facts
- As a director, she had worked on projects like Everybody Hates Chris, Let’s Stay Together, Dolly Parton‘s Christmas on the Square, Quantum Leap, Family Ties, Fame, Between Brothers, Polly, The Sinbad Show, That’s So Raven, Cool Women, and Grey’s Anatomy.
- On October 11, 1991, Debbie Allen was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6904 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California.
- In 2000, she founded the Debbie Allen Dance Institute in Culver City, California.
- Debbie Allen has been diagnosed with arthritis in her right shoulder and right ankle.
- In February 2017, she received the “Legend Award” at the 9th annual Essence Black Women in Hollywood event.
Featured Image by Red Carpet Report on Mingle Media TV / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0