|Alexander Volkanovski Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||September 29, 1988|
Alexander Volkanovski is an Australian professional mixed martial artist who began competing in the featherweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), in 2016. He had won the UFC Featherweight Championship in December 2019 and had defended it in both July 2020 and September 2021. As of June of 2021, he was ranked number 4 in the UFC men’s pound-for-pound rankings.
Alexander Volkanovski as seen in an Instagram Post in July 2021 (Alexander Volkanovski / Instagram)
Warilla, Shellharbour, Illawarra, New South Wales, Australia
Wollongong, Illawarra, New South Wales, Australia
Alexander had attended the Lake Illawarra High School, a comprehensive secondary day school in the Illawarra region of New South Wales.
Professional Mixed Martial Artist
Alexander Volkanovski as seen in an Instagram Post in September 2021 (Alexander Volkanovski / Instagram)
- Father – His father is a concreter.
- Siblings – He has a brother.
He is represented by Ash Belcastro, Manager and Booking Agent, Attain Peace Sports Management, Combat Sports Talent Management Firm, Perth, Western Australia, Australia.
- Featherweight (2014-Present)
- Lightweight (2014, 2016)
- Welterweight (2012-2013)
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
66 kg or 145.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Alexander has dated –
- Emma Volkanovski (2015-Present) – Alexander had married his long-term girlfriend Emma in 2015. They have 2 daughters together named Ariana Volkanovski and Airlie Volkanovski.
Alexander Volkanovski and Emma Volkanovsi, as seen in May 2021 (Alexander Volkanovski / Instagram)
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Macedonian descent on his father’s side and Greek descent on his mother’s side.
- Toned physique
- Often sports a light stubble
- Affable smile
- Has his right hand covered in tattoos
Alexander has been sponsored by –
- Engage (Fightwear Brand)
- Sportsbet (Online Gambling Company)
Alexander Volkanovski as seen in an Instagram Post in August 2021 (Alexander Volkanovski / Instagram)
Alexander Volkanovski Facts
- A multi-skilled athlete from a very young age, Alexander had won a national title in Greco-Roman wrestling at the age of 12. He had given up the sport about a couple of years later to focus on a potential career in rugby league as a front-rower.
- He had later played semi-professional rugby league for the Warilla Gorillas in the South Coast Rugby League and had won the ‘Mick Cronin Medal’ in 2010 as the league’s best player. A year later, he was instrumental in his team’s Premiership winning season and was named the ‘Man of the Match’ in his team’s Grand Final victory.
- Soon after, aged about 23, he had quit rugby league to pursue a professional career in mixed martial arts. He was already a fan of the discipline for the past 10 years and used to train for the same during the rugby league off-season. He quickly became a good counter striker as well as a fantastic offensive wrestler.
- He soon began participating in amateur fights in the middleweight division as he had to adjust down from his rugby weight before turning professional. He would eventually move down to welterweight, then lightweight, and ultimately the featherweight division.
- Starting as an amateur in the middleweight division, he had amassed a 4-0 win-loss record before turning professional. He had then competed in various MMA organizations in the Oceania region from 2012 to July 2016 before ultimately signing with the UFC. During this time, he had won a Pacific Xtreme Combat (PXC) title and 2 Australian Fighting Championship (AFC) Featherweight titles. He had accumulated a 13–1 win-loss record, including 10 straight wins, before joining the UFC.
Featured Image by Alexander Volkanovski / Instagram